Sunday, December 13, 2009

My 22 month old wont look me in my eye when i put him in my face but if i ask him where are my i eye he looks?

at me and says eyes or i he wants me to pick him up he says up and holds his arms up a looks at me should i be worried about autism because he wont look at me close up my sister said he just wants you out of he face or that could be intimadating him but what do you thinkMy 22 month old wont look me in my eye when i put him in my face but if i ask him where are my i eye he looks?
I don't think it sounds like autism. If he is looking at you and requesting up then it sounds okay. Does he have a 'social smile?' In other words, does he laugh and smile at things? Can you play little games with him and sing songs and have him laugh and look at you in the eye? Does he look you in the eye at other times when you are just playing and having fun and laughing? If he does, then I don't think it's autism. Some children just look away when a face gets a little close. Try backing up just a bit and see if that helps. Autism has a lot of characteristics besides lack of eye contact like the loss or lack of language. I think your child is probably just fine.My 22 month old wont look me in my eye when i put him in my face but if i ask him where are my i eye he looks?
working at a daycare Ive realized a lot of kids don't like to look anyone in the eyes. i think its the close connection that gives them a weird feeling as long as they are paying attention to what you say and acknowledging you i wouldnt be too worried
Direct eye contact at close range for no reason is intimidating for some kids. Try catching his gaze when talking or playing on the floor with him, a reasonable distance away.





Does he have any other signs that he might be autistic?
Your sister's right, you're being intimidating. Imagine how it would feel to you if someone grabbed you, got in your face and started telling you off. Then imagine being two.





You can teach your child to be good without invading his space or scaring him. A good policy to follow is to be gentle and loving when you're close to someone's face. If you're going to be angry, critical or disapproving, you should get no closer than arm's length. This is equally applicable to children and adults.





(edit) I apologize for assuming that you were yelling. Perhaps he would prefer to initiate close facial proximity, or maybe he has a hard time focusing (as suggested above). He could even be looking at your mouth, waiting for you to speak, or studying parts of your face he can't see from farther away.
How ';up close';? He might not be able to focus that close. If he is looking at your face at all, especially at your face further away, don't worry about it at all. His vision might not be developed to be able to see clearly that close, or he may need glasses later, but not looking at you ';up close'; is not a sign of autism. If anything, an autistic child is more likely to look at you up close and not look at you from far away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
skin color