Friday, December 11, 2009

Is it normal that my 5 week old son doesn't always look me in the eye?

My son is 5-weeks old and he seems to sometimes prefer to look away behind my shoulders when I'm talking to him or smiling at him. Is this strange behaviour I should be concerned about?Is it normal that my 5 week old son doesn't always look me in the eye?
Not at all. Your 5 month old doesn't even look you in the eye when you think he is. He is usually focusing on your hair line or eyebrows. A 5 week old enjoys and notices sharp contrasts in color such as the difference in your skin and hair. If he never looked you in the ';eye'; than you should be concerned. A 5 week old also does not have a very long attention span and gets over-stimulated easily which is another reason he may look away from you frequently.Is it normal that my 5 week old son doesn't always look me in the eye?
Babies that age aren't able to focus much past 12 inches. They are constantly looking in different directions, never really focusing on anything. Does he react to light or things waved in his face? If not, you may want to see a doctor and have his eyesight checked. Also, at this age they aren't ready to pay attention to any one person. So, just enjoy watching him grow and learn. Congrats on your little one.
I wouldn't be concerned about it. Babies just love to look around and take in everything in their environment. My 5 week old son(born April 2) seems to stare more at our ceiling fans than my face. Talk to your pediatrician if you are really concerned, but at 5 weeks it is still a little early to be worried about Autism, etc.
i've read that babies are some times over stimulated, so they will look away. it's not bad.
No, that is not strange. He is either ';taking it all in'; or like someone else answered, possibly overstimulated. They get better at the eye contact thing as they get older.
yes, the younger the child the shorter the attention span
That is perfectly normal. At 5 weeks their vision is getting better and there is so much to take in. While your face may have been clear to him for a week or so now, the stuff behind you is just now coming into focus and is probably just catching his attention as something new and exciting.
  • earrings for wholesale
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

     
    skin color